August 27, 2004

BOOK CRAZY

Aside from pirated DVD's and MP3 disks, another thing I like about shopping in Manila are the second-hand bookstores that are swamping a lot of the malls lately. It used to be that only Booksale was selling used hardbound and paperbound books. Now there are a lot of unknown stores putting up wares in malls like Glorietta, SM, and Festival Mall.

Last weekend, I was able to score two good used hardbounds: Carcaterra's Gangster and Grisham's Runaway Jury. I've always been a fan of Grisham, although for the past year or so, I haven't been reading any of his works. The only reason why I got Runaway Jury is because I had the chance to watch the movie, and it's interesting how the book is so different from the movie. In the movie, the plaintiff is a gun manufacturer, but in the book, it seems that it's a tobacco company. The plot is more or less the same though, how an errant juror manages to sway a decision against a gorilla plaintiff. Should be an interesting read, I guess.

I also bought a new paperback from Clancy, Red Rabbit. Aside from that, I'm also reading a work by Hemingway published posthumously: Islands in the Stream. This is my first time to read Hemingway. So far, I like the book. Really gets you inside the mind of the protagonist.

It's a Friday. Have fun this weekend people! For those getting their paychecks this evening, don't blow it off all on one night! :-)

No comments: